Sunday, December 21, 2008

Vacation and randomness



Righto. Well. I'm now on vacation, and as I'm away from the work computer that usually supplies my images on my curiously legally required breaks, I'll be indulging in a bit of randomness for the next two weeks, talking about some of my favorite other moments of screen, and generally spreading my holiday relaxation and cheer to this venue.

The above picture is a personal favorite of mine of Cary Grant. Early in his career, in the film Sylvia Scarlett, where he is a con man who understands the necessity of fine clothes to his job. He also has a darn fine overcoat, a smashing hat to top it, white cuffs poking out of his immaculate sleeves, and the smashing dimensions we all wish were our own. Though this is truly a moment of great film elegance, it is a moment, I think, so few of us are blessed with the physical stature to achieve, hence my eternally mixed feelings about Cary Grant as a paragon of men's style.

No comments: